Database Administrator – Homebased
We are currently recruiting for a specialist professional services and technology firm, working in partnership with leading insurance, highly regulated and global businesses. They work with their clients to deliver operations, consulting and technology solutions across the risk and insurance value chain, including excellence in claims, underwriting, distribution, regulation, customer experience, human capital, transformation & change management.
Reporting to the Lead DBA, and working as part of a wider DBA Team, you will help to maintain, administrate and develop a large global estate of MS SQL Server instances both on-prem and cloud.
You will work across existing businesses across the UK, US and other regions and also have lots of opportunities to get involved in M&A projects, helping to on-board new companies into the wider group.
In collaboration with the wider Group IT Team, and departmental IT Teams, you will provide the various businesses within the group with data that is timely, accurate, relevant, secure and compliant with various external and internal policies (GDPR, ISO 27001, PCI).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor SQL Servers and troubleshoot issues as they arise to keep the production SQL servers running smoothly
- Promote a ‘shift-left’ culture, enabling customers to drive their own products where they are able
- Design, Implementation and maintenance of a cloud strategy
- Performance tuning and Optimisation
- Administration of 3rd party tools (e.g. Redgate, Solarwinds)
- Problem / Incident / Major Incident Management
- Maintain existing SQL Environments both on-prem and cloud based – Dev, Test, Stage, UAT, Production
- Maintain Azure based services
- Work as part of M&A Project teams to facilitate migrations (SQL Environment setup / transfer)
- Perform backups and restores as required
- Provide 1st class support and consultation service to both Group IT and departmental IT teams regarding SQL queries, databases, servers
Skills & Experience Required:
Technical Key Skills
- SQL Server 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2014 / 2016 / 2017 / 2019 / Azure
- Complex T-SQL
- Experience of dealing with large databases
- Replication / Log Shipping / Clustering
- High Availability Groups
- Performance Tuning / Optimisation
- SSIS (creation, maintenance, monitoring, troubleshooting)
- SQL Agent Jobs (creation, maintenance, monitoring, troubleshooting)
- Indexes, Statistics, Execution Plans, Plan Guides, DMV’s
- Knowledge of the Azure Portal e.g. configuration and management of Azure services
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – flexible and approachable
- Proactive and self-motivated approach to problem solving
- Passionate about new technology, innovation and continuous improvement
- Ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical people
- Self-motivated and results driven
- Ability to work under pressure and manage conflicting priorities to tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail, with excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience of working in a 24/7 business
- Incident/Problem/Change management in ServiceNow or similar
- Azure Data Factory Administration
- Data Warehouse Administration (On-Prem or Cloud)
- Experience of Powershell
This role requires the candidate to have a minimum of 3 years’ industry experience in a DBA role or hold a SQL Microsoft Certification
To be considered for this opportunity, please apply with the latest version of your CV for our team to review.
Best of luck with your application.